If you have not heard of Rajdulari, you are missing out on a special treat. This curvy girl slays in every way imaginable. She sings, she is a fashionista and she is a healthy living advocate. We had an opportunity to catch up with this phenomenal woman. Check out her responses to our “Twenty Questions with the Cover Girl”.1. How would you describe your style as a teenager? Believe it or not, I was actually a tomboy when I was about 12-15, lol. It was the 90s and I wore black Doc Martens, baggy shorts below the knee, and over-sized turtlenecks. It wasn’t until my late teen years (15 and up) that I started performing on stage. This really increased my confidence and I started truly embracing my curves and my body.
- Do you have a hidden talent? Hmm, I would say my hidden talent is organizing people. I never look at my events or performances as a ‘solo effort’. I love working with a community of folk to make things happen. Whether it’s coordinating the musicians for gigs, or people for my fashion/brand events, or working with my BlackGirlsdoPiYo fitness group…however I can build community to help positive things happen. That makes my heart happy and it’s something I really enjoy doing.
- What is your biggest fear? Feeling like my work is incomplete. Leaving this earth before getting a chance to sing all of the songs I have within me, or passing before I get to see my brands grow. If we’ve learned anything from history, it’s that we have very limited time on this earth, so I’m always concerned with making the most out of the time I’m blessed with.
- What is your favorite city and why? Hmmm, I’d have to say London. I love New Orleans, Paris, Amsterdam and New York. All are beautiful cities to me. But London? That was the first overseas place I’ve ever traveled to that felt like ‘home’ the minute we landed. 🙂
- What is your dream vacation destination? I would love to go to Ghana, or to Santorini, Greece. There are too many destinations to name just one!Do you have a signature fragrance? Yes, it’s ‘Chance’ by Chanel. My all-time fave.
- Which three Instagram accounts should we be following? @rajdularimusic, @rajdularistyle, and @rajdularifitness of course! 😉
- What do you do to take care of your “Curve Appeal”?I exercise at least 5-6 times per week. I alternate between yoga, bootcamp, and running or riding my bike outdoors. And while I work out pretty frequently, those french fries and carbs still call my name way too often, so I’m forever a work in progress, chile.
- What was your last impulse buy? Shoes, always shoes and more shoes!
- Who is your ultimate icon? I’d say it’s a toss-up between Oprah and Queen Latifah. For Oprah, I love the humanity & positivity in her work and message, also her grind/work ethic is unparalleled. With Queen Latifah, well as a musician I’m IN AWE of the way she has diversified her career and how she continues to brand (and rebrand) herself. I also love Queen’s business/ownership moves she’s made over the years. Definitely two women I aspire to learn as much as I can from.
- What smell brings back childhood memories? The smell of freshly cut grass. It always reminds me of my father who passed when I was young. He owned a lawn mowing business with my mom in happier times so that smell always makes me smile.
- In which film would you like to be the leading lady? I would LOVE to play Ella Fitzgerald in a biopic! And, of course, I’d love to be the leading lady in my OWN biopic one day. (Hey, a girl can dream, can’t she? ;))
- What is your beauty routine? I keep things simple. I don’t wear makeup except for when I have gigs and photo shoots. I only wash my face with Aveda biogel cleanser, and I use Ponds moisturizing cream because living in Denver truly dries out my skin.
- What are your fashion essentials? Must haves: The perfect pencil skirt in several patterns, at least 4-5 staple colored pumps (red, black, nude, etc.), and I’m addicted to fierce cut jumpsuits these days that accentuate the curves but are also comfy to wear.
- Three songs to keep on repeat:
Rajdulari’s ‘Natural’ of course (to always remember to celebrate your body and who you are),
Jill Scott’s ‘Golden’ (to remind you to embrace life and enjoy every moment), and
Lauryn Hill’s ‘Lost One’ (to remember who you are. so you can dust yourself off & whip out yo ‘dope fierce chick’ ego whenever someone doubts you, or you start to doubt yourself).
14. What particular gift do you like to give? Time. And I love surprising my loved ones with things that I remember that truly mean something special to them. Seeing their happy faces brings me so much joy
15. What advice would you give your younger self? Be afraid, and SING ANYWAY.\
16. What words do you live by? Be afraid, but DO IT ANYWAY
17. What is your guilty pleasure? Reality TV
18. What makes you, you? My determination. My passion to see the good in people. My desire to create music and art that uplifts and empowers us- especially women of color. And my love & pride for all of the things that makes us Curvy Girls beautiful, powerful, and a force to be reckoned with!